2:03 PM

Oh sweet Victory!!!

Posted by Courtney |

I think I finally accomplished what I thought was the impossible!!!

JUDAH IS TAKING FORMULA BOTTLES!!!!!

I honestly didn't think it was going to happen but after 24 hours of non-stop trying, he gave in to the bottle drinking! The bottle that finally did it for him is called, "First Years, Breastflow Bottle" http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2815318

It simulates the breast perfectly, which kind of tricks him into thinking it's the "real thing" :)

I tried a new formula too, "Carnation Good Start". I heard it tastes most like breast milk, although I still thinks it smells like dirt. Poor baby. no wonder he didn't want to drink it! But at least he got over it! I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Now when I leave for Belgium, I don't have to worry about him not eating.

This is how I did it. I put breast milk in a bottle and gave it to him. He at first started screaming thinking it was going to be "the dirt" formula but then some milk went into his mouth and he immediately started gulping it down. Well because he was so hungry, he ate it really fast and wanted some more. I then put some formula in the bottle and offered it to him again. He cried and refused for a second but then conceded to the taste. Thus I had the VICTORY!!! He tried refusing a few times after that but would always give in. So far so good :)

I have to be honest and say, it's kind of hard for me to think that I will not be nursing him any more. I have never nursed a baby this long and for some, this isn't long at all (I guess I'm just not the long nursing type, don't judge me). He is 81/2 months old already! The longest I nursed any of the girls was 6 months. I feel pretty good about the fact that I did it for that long. (pat on back). It does make it hard when I know he likes it so much though. That's the sucky part. I really do enjoy nursing, but it was just time.

Now the hard part is here...the part where your milk drys up. Oh my word, my boobs are hard as rocks right now. I guess better now then when i am in Belgium but it seriously hurts like crap! I hope they dry up sooner then later cause I can't take much longer of this. It's painful people!

Thanks for all the advice and words of encouragement! I really needed them.

And thank God there is VICTORY in the Watkins house! Woo HOO!!!!

8 comments:

Carrie said...

It took me about two whole days for the pain to stop. The first day was by far the worst. About 2 weeks until I was completely dry. Take tylenol(extra strength), it will take the edge off. So proud of little Judah, it is so hard to quit. Good for you, for not giving up!!

BobLobLaw said...

YAYAY! You're such a great little Mommy! And ouch! That does not sound fun!

Unknown said...

Awesome! So glad the two of you got through this.

Lolly said...

wooohooo! I'm glad for you AND whomever will be the blessed person that keeps Judah while you are gone!

Jerri said...

I am the blessed person who gets to keep him while they are in Belgium! And I'm so excited that he is liking the bottle. It will make my job much easier! I can't wait!
Courtney, you are a great Mom! I love you!

Linda said...

That is great! Yay Judah!!! Sorry that you are in such pain. Hopefully that will end quickly.

SARAH said...

hey... just want to say.... i really appreciate what you had to say the other night.

thanks court.
love you.

Joy said...

dooce.com said that she used cabbage leaves - she said it did the trick. you place a leaf on your boob(s) and then put your bra on and somehow it helps a lot. search her blog for more details.
joy.